Thursday, August 21, 2003

[173.1] BBC MUSIC MAGAZINE

And what a fine magazine it is, too. A useful blend of traditional classical fayre, a pleasing amount of modern and contemporary music, and some pinpointed coverage of jazz and 'world' musics, as well as features on education, instruments and listening technology. A pretty good blend, given its broad market audience. The cover mounted CDs have also continued the positive tradition of complete works (rather than 'bleedig chunks'), with an emphasis on BBC archive and live performance. The playlists tend towards less famous works by well known composers, of course, but there is the occasional example of adventurousness -- John Adams, Toru Takemitsu, Latin American music, and so on.

I have been reading BBC Music Magazine since the first issue, and I bought it regularly up until the middle of 1999. However, due to an overload of books and papers (and an impending house move), I am wanting to find a good home for most of my back issues - minus the discs, I'm afraid. Anyone who can make a small conrtibution and cover postage would be welcome to have them. Please email me: just click on "contact" in the catch line below the description, above.

The sets I have at the moment are as follows: September 1992 (the first issue) to March 1994, complete; June 1994 to November 1996 (complete except for Feb '95); 1997, January - December (minus June); 1998 - 8 months (minus June, September, November, December); 1999 - January to June.

Drop me a line if you are interested, or know someone who would be.

No comments: